Monday, April 23, 2007

Finally...well almost...settled in

So sorry to my TWO loyal readers :) So...we are officially Santa Monicans now!! It has been so great living here these past three weeks, I absolutely love it! I have pictures of our apartment below, but be well aware that we still have some decorating to do (especially in the bedroom...bare walls=gross.

Some things we've done since we've moved:
1. We've had TWO steak grillouts which were so delicious (1 to celebrate moving in and to pay our friend bobby back for helping us, and 1 to celebrate Easter) One of the many perks since having a yard.

2. It's just 4 blocks down to the famous bike path which runs for miles along the coast. We can bike to the santa monica pier in less than 10 minutes, and to Venice in less than 15 min (even faster than taking a car b/c no lights or traffic!) We biked down to Venice Beach (south of us) one saturday to enjoy some great people watching. If you've never been it's a must on our to do list when you visit. Plus they have some cheap shops with some cute stuff. Venice is full of Boulder-minded people (i.e. hippies) so its nice to pretend our world is this open minded, even if its just for a trip down the boardwalk. I have to mention the best "beg for money" sign I have seen to date. A man's sign read..."family killed by ninjas, need money for karate lessons" HAHA! PROPS.

3. One of our goals is to become locals at a close bar near our house, so we tried them out one night. There is the Golden Bull, which is a decent steakhouse with decent drinks, but definately a gay bar after dinner hours. Then we tried the bar next door (forget the name) and it is an all out dance party with DJ music. We ended up staying here one night, but not our "local" scene. See pics below. Not as close as the previously two is Father's Office. They serve french fries in mini shopping carts and have a great selection of brews. A little pricey, but our kind of people. I'll keep you updated on the search.

4. Since I got to decorate the inside of the house, Jess is determined to do the outside. So far so good. He planted a flower garden of pansies. He also planted grass in a section of the yard, so we may have a REAL yard soon! We are attempting a veggie garden as well.

5. Work is going well for both of us. I went back after spring break to the High School and I will be there teaching Precalculus and Algebra until the end of the year. Still coaching tennis. Their championships are May 3 and 4. Jess got put on a movie with Sean William Scott (aka Stiffler) and John C. Riley (aka shake n bake) He brought the movie home and he let me watch it illegally. It was good. He also got to go hang out with Stiffler at his house in Malibu and take pictures of him (they needed to know if he needed to get a haircut) See pic below. Maybe I should sell it to US weekly. muhahaha.

6. Our newly wed friend Lindsey Henderson (aka Gardner) and her hubby Jay came to visit this past weekend! They only got to stay with us Thursday night, but it was so fun having some Oklahomies to talk to. We stayed up way too late and had a major falling shelf catastrophe. They were in Cali for Jay's sister's wedding, and checking out Pasadena. They might move there! yay!

7. Our friend, TJ, that works in the music studio invited us to a party at the studio in Hollywood Hills. They were finishing work on one of their artists records and wanted some likeminded people to come hear the record and see what we thought. His name is Samual Markus. he is a singer/songwriter, just needs a guitar and a mike to sound good type of guy. Very Jack Johnson. He has a myspace page. check him out. One song I loved was called Susanne (Shout out to Sus! Chris totally needs to sing you this song). We met and he's a really nice kid. Only learned guitar 3 years ago. We met some fun and interesting folk this night. Among them the director of a dark comedy/horror flick coming out in the fall called Dark Reel. sounds interesting, stars edward furlong (use to have a huge crush on him!) Thanks TJ! Good times!

7. We've been watching movies non stop lately. some good ones you should check out: Friends with money, Notes on a Scandal, Entourage (3rd season), Bobby (Okay), I can't think, but there is way more.

That is all I got for the moment. The pictures below may say more.


This is the new place! (minus the upstairs!) We live on the bottom behind the garage. to the left is the yard!

Living room from the kitchen. sliding door contains our only outside light. beyond these doors...our yard!

Our "shelf cotastrophe" these shelves were cool, but no longer there. they fell down in the middle of the night of Jay and Lindsey's visit. scary! we're saying it was an earthquake, but really just poor carpentry skills, jesus will not be proud.

Our kitchen :)

Our front gate

doorway between bedroom and kitchen. Hung 4 sarongs as drapes for privacy. good idea mama jude.

vanity. reminds me of the big bathroom is seminole :)

Stiffler's head

living room! Our new couch! Jess!

bare, bedless bedroom

growing grass


bobby and Jess enjoying some pacifico

examining my martini olive. mmmm.



TJ and our new actress friend (she plays furlong's ex in the horror flick)

7 comments:

lauren and brad said...

OH MY GOODNESS! What a wonderful update! By far the best one ever...i mean you included so much info, so many pics and TWO of them were of famous people that you actually hang out with! WOW! you are so cool.
about the only 2 loyal blog readers...you only have 2 because everyone else who wants to read it (even mom and dad) don't have access. you need to grant the access. :)
I LOVE the new place! you two are the coolest cats in the world! tell jess the outdoors is lookin' mighty fine. i can't wait to come visit! Alleleuia for internet access and feeling re-connected to my sister...i was so lost for so long. :(
xoxoxoxoxo, love you mucho. lo

lauren and brad said...

Your olive pic is a little disturbing.
1. that is what ma and da call "it" now because that is it's size...
2. it made me crave olives.
3. it made me crave martinis. :(

candy hammond said...

YESSS!!! Ur finally back!!! I love the new pad! And the bathroom does look a lot like the one at ur house! When i saw the picture of the olive Lauren was the first thing i thought of after u told me the size last night! haha I love and miss u so much! Keep us informed!

lizcannon said...

HOLY MOLY!!!!!!! My cousin is not dead!!!! First off, you totally know famous people now! Second I have no idead about this olive thing yall are talking about. Third I love the house sooo much, it just seems right for you. And JEss the yard looks amazing. I love the hippy sign, buy one for Sus and Chris! I told cam about the homeless need money sign of ninjas.... i think he would write one like that if he was homeless. Did you give that guy $1, he deserved it! Do you have bikes to ride places? I am jealous! I miss you! Talk soon, love liz

lizcannon said...

ps: loved the vanity and it totally reminded me of seminole.

(you have wood floors, no fair)

Anonymous said...

our house is tight.

Anonymous said...

Love your place guys. I agree with lo about feeling connected. Like anonymous says..blogs are tight! you guys are tight...the lake house is tight...and my pants are really tight...must go pee. love and miss you bunches. keep on bloggin' la. it makes my day. wwwhhheeeeeee...must peeeeeeeeee:)