Monday, April 14, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

I have never taken New Year's Resolutions too seriously, but this year I was insistent on doing some goal setting for 2014.  With Baby B, time has just been moving way too fast, and I want to do so much as a family.  It was time to write some goals down. 
 So, our New Year's resolutions in no particular order: 

1) Save Money. 
self explanatory
2) Live Simply.  
We went from a couple of DINKs (dual income no kids) to a couple of SIOKs (single income one kid).  As much as we were prepared to do this, it has definitely taken some adjustment not to have my own income.  We are much more conscientious about where our money is going.  We eat in for most every meal, budget for the occasional meal out, and try to entertain ourselves for free/cheap.  This is hard to do in a town like LA where it seems you have to spend money every time you leave the house. This is also more challenging for Breckin and I since we try to get out on the daily for an adventure or two.  As Papa Shark says, "live on love" 
3) Make small goals as important as large goals. 
I tend to get so caught up with big ideas that I often overlook appreciating the simplicity of the day to day and recognizing the importance in the small moments.  Especially now that I am a stay at home mom.  There is so much more room in my mind, and I feel like I should be able to do all this stuff since I am not technically "working".  Yes, I may want to redo the bathroom, build a shed, plan a baby shower, etc.,  but if the only thing on my to do list for the day is to make sure Breckin and I get some hang out time in the backyard...that is just as important.   
4) Build garden boxes and plant our garden. (check! blog on this later)
5) Build a bike/bike trailer shed (almost done! blog on this later)
It has a name:  The Grateful Shed.  It houses our bikes, bike trailer, surfboard and there is room for more! 
6) Go on 12 SoCal hikes in 12 months  (3/12!! blog on these hikes later)
Both Jess and I love to hike and there are so many beautiful places around us that we haven't explored yet.  If we don't preplan we will never pull the trigger.  So far, 3 hikes!! 
7) Make Breckin Happy!! 
Bottom line.  Making sure our baby girl is happy and healthy!  

No comments: