Chant of the Pregnant Goddess
by Jana McCarthy
I am the mother of the moon,
sister of the stars,
child of the light in your eyes.
I am powerful.
The geometry of my shape shifts
from gently curved lines
to expanding circles:
earth, moon, sun.
I am powerful.
I am strong.
The tempo of my vibration quickens,
increasing from
butterfly wings, to floundering fish,
to beating drum,
erupting volcano,
the rhythm as old and constant as
the cycles of the sun
and the turn of the tides.
I am powerful.
I am strong.
I am beautiful.
I hold the hope of my ancestors
the knowledge of my time
the fate of my future.
I am powerful.
I am strong.
I am beautiful.
I am mother.
A few girls from my Mama Tribe were so sweet to throw me a blessing way.
It was a beautiful day that started out with the housecleaner cleaning my house for me, and Brett (Wilder's Dad) taking Breckin at 8:30-4 for an all day adventure to the science museum with her friends and their dads. The blessing way did not start until noon…so what was I to do with myself?? I found myself driving to the beach, picking up some coffee and a cinnamon roll, and just sitting on the sand and watching the early morning surfers. The weather was just perfect. Then I went and got myself a mani/pedi before I headed home.
The women started to gather and we just casually sat out in the backyard chatting until everyone arrived (did I mention the PERFECT weather!?) All of the women who came are mothers, and everyone except two of these women are presently pregnant! The mommy mojo was really going strong.
Leon was showing off for the ladies the whole time.
We didn't get a pic of this bracelet in action, but it was one of the first things we did. Each woman in the circle wrapped the string around their wrist with each wrap representing a woman in their lives and then it goes around the circle so we are all connected and we cut the string at the end. For example, I said "I am Lane, daughter of Judy, granddaughter of Freda and Edna Mae, Sister of Lauren, and mommy to Breckin". Everyone is to keep their bracelets on until after baby boy royall is born.
Each lady also brought a bead for me (that I will keep for labor) that had some significant meaning or wish for me.
They made this beautiful flower crown for me and put it on before anointing me with lavender oil. I felt like a mama goddess.
After the flower crown was on, each lady anointed me with lavender oil.
I anoint your chest for all the nourishment and love you provide for your baby
I anoint your hands for all the work and play to come
I anoint your feet for all the miles you will walk to care for your child
I anoint your knees for all the times you will kneel to tend to your child
I anoint your head for all the decisions you will make
(no pic) I anoint your arms for all the times they will cradle your baby.
I anoint your belly for your ability to grow along with your child
Someone said something inappropriate…I'm sure of it.
Then it was time for some tarot card action.
everyone brought a flower or flowers that reminded them of me and it turned into this beautiful bouquet.
I drew 3 cards for past, present and future.
They were the perfect cards to draw and matched my life perfectly…which tarot cards always manage to do.
Past: Cordelia (Go Outside) "You have been indoors too long. Go outside and get some fresh air."
Present: Lakshmi (Bright Future) "Stop worrying. Everything is going to be fine."
Future: Maeve (Cycles and Rhythms) "Honor the cycles of your body, energy levels, and emotions."
Then I closed the ceremony by reading the Chant of the Pregnant Goddess (posted at the beginning). I and everyone else started crying before I could get the final sentence out… "I am mother."
These ladies are the best. The hostesses with the mostesses. We all had our first babies together and now we are all pregnant again!
Throw in Isabel - my Kundalini guru- She led us in several Kundalini Yoga/meditation chants.
Perfect day.
I made these vanilla lavender coco butters for all the ladies.
the most beautiful mama bouquet.
I went and picked up B from an exhausted Brett around 4:30. We snuggled for the rest of the day and she ended up falling asleep next to me with her hand on my belly.
We are so excited to meet you baby boy!




No comments:
Post a Comment