Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I can put M. Ed. at the end of my name. Respect.

I just discovered this recently in the middle of sending out resumes and such during my job search. I am officially Lane Phelps, M. Ed.! I've started to put it on everything now and it is just so exciting! Don't be surprised if you get a personal note from me with a not so personal signature at the end...I don't think this will get old for a while :)

I'm still waiting to set up a "practice tutoring session" over at mathtopia. It's like a trial before I really get to start tutoring. The kid will evaluate my tutor skills and then I can start taking clients. This won't be any type of full time gig. probaly just a few hours every week but its a start! The most beneficial thing to come from my interview was Marlissa (she is founder, president of mathtopia...black, young, and sassy! I like her) recommended Cal West Educators to me to help me find a full time job. They are like an agency that helps applicants and administrators from private schools find the "perfect match" for their school. Seeing that you don't have to be California certified to work at a private school, I thought this would bring more immediate satisfaction to my job search. Plus, I won't get stuck working at Compton High School. scary. Anywho, I had to fill out this super long application, and I have a phone interview with Fleisch (my name drop at Cal West from Marlissa) today at 3:30. If I get accepted to be a Cal West client then I will be in with almost every private school in the LA area. I will also go to a Cal West connection event (job fair) on saturday where I could actually start the interviewing process with actual schools!! Just like everything in LA, trying to be a teacher is a huge to do. hopefully this Cal West thing is worth it (should have seen the application. yuck)

We haven't done much since my birthday. We are trying to save money and Jess is working very hard!! He got to work on Die Hard 4 the other night. They were shooting downtown near skid row (where the homeless are) and his and 20 other PA's job was to keep the homeless out of the shots. I found this a little sad, especially b/c of a big news story that just broke about hospitals just dumping patients off at skid row on the streets knowing they had nowhere to go. BUT, it was a safety precaution I assume b/c jess said there was a lot of crazy car stunts going on. He got to see bruce willis briefly.

Even more exciting news is that jess just landed his best job yet...He will be the office PA and set PA for a new movie coming out and its a whole months worth of work! yay for jess! now maybe I can start working soon...lets hope.

So what did we learn today? a year and a half + hours spent on writing papers = bonus initials at the end of your name

yay for grad school.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally earned my respect...and not with the initials...more with your sparkling personality and hilarious humor. glad to hear things are moving forward...xoxo

Anonymous said...

i meant to say "you have totally earned my respect" (obviously!)

Anonymous said...

Yipeeee!!! Job search is progressing! Call me with details of how the interview went!

I wanna meet Bruce Willis!

Anonymous said...

That last one was from me-Candy

lizcannon said...

lane phelps mEd...you rock my face off! you should take a homeless person some lunch (we tried the other day and apparently denver homeless people can pick and choose when they want to be homeless, b/c the dang bum turned down our offer for lunch... he even asked where we were going and said he had just eaten)! Love Liz