Thursday, March 01, 2007

Tennis, Anyone?

Good news everyone! I am now the official head coach of the St. Matthew's Parish school 6-8 grade boys tennis team! This is one of the schools where I'm interviewing for a math position, and the principal gave my name to the athletic director b/c he saw my experience with playing/coaching tennis. It's not a bad gig. only 3 practices a week from 3:30-5 and a few tournaments. The season ends first week of May. If you want to check out this school you can go to www.stmatthewsschool.com

I had my first practice today and they were all so cute and actually pretty good! There is one girl that they let on the team since not enough girls came out to play in the fall (girls in fall, boys in spring, kinda weird) There are only 7 kids that came to practice today and this is not good. The Athletic Director told me today that if we don't get at least 8 kids signed up (9 makes a whole team, 3 singles, 3 doubles), then he is going to axe tennis this season. Bad for me, b/c this would mean I'm back to being jobless again! I'll know more on Monday, but as of now I'm excited and it was nice to get outside and play with kids today. When they left practice they all said "Bye Coach Phelps, thanks so much!" It melted my heart. Maybe middle schoolers aren't that bad :)

I've got 3 all day interviews coming up at 3 different schools. On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. whew! I have to teach a class each of those days, which is always a little scary to be observed by people you're trying to impress.

Jess and I went out for some delicious margaritas last night at El Coyote (spanish for "the coyote), as seen on the hit reality show "The Hills". Jess thinks he saw the "you don't give another guys girl a foot massage and you don't put her in your top five" guy from that cell phone commercial. I, of course, didn't see anyone. I, again, pretended like a group of guys was Green Day, just to make myself excited. Jess and I had a funny conversation. it went something like this:

Lane: You're eyes are kind of close together

Jess: Don't tell me I look like Helen Hunt

Lane: Helen Keller? (the restaurant was loud)

Jess: What? I don't know what Helen Keller looks like! .....And neither does she!

HAHAHA. good laughs at the expense of Helen Keller. but only in good fun. She couldn't hear us anyway.....OHHH! I crack myself up. Anywho. I'm outta jokes.

7 comments:

lizcannon said...

i laughed really hard at that (i am at work) so i decided to tell some german guy here, and he didnt think it was that funny. i think you are hilarious!!!! Who has jess worked with recently?

Leslie said...

I can NOT believe how hard I'm laughing at Helen Keller's expense! I think I would've peed myself had I been a participant in that conversation!

(just took a random peek at your blog from a link on your sister's)

Ryan and Katie said...

Congrats on the job! and on making a funny joke about the disabled :)

Anonymous said...

i am so proud of you and myself for sending my first net messaage in history. i read your blog, coach.

Anonymous said...

Lane,
Seriously, those middle school boys are going to freak when they find out someone as hot as you is their coach.

Also,
It is a little wierd that Lauren's friend Katie posts comments on your blog. However, it is very cool that YOUR DAD posted a comment all by himself. Technology.
I saw "pedagogy" on a website the other day.

Tell Jess I think of him and laugh whenever someone miss uses "quotes"

Vote Obama,
Schatzie

lauren and brad said...

Sis...i am in desperate need of an update...even in spite of our wonderful phone conversations...i heard you have been offered some jobs? ma and da are coming over tonight! yeah sleep over guests!!!!

lizcannon said...

tell mark the shark and the jude to post on my blog!!! I will put a special blog out for them if they do!