Friday, February 15, 2008

Are you smarter than an 8th grader?

So, my Algebra kids just finished a unit on systems of equations. This was the bonus question on their test. See if you remember anything from school, but remember....you must show all your work!:

*BONUS* Find out how old Ms. Phelps is!!!

Ms. Phelps and her sister's ages add up to 54. Nine years ago, Ms. Phelps was 3/4 as old as her sister. How old is Ms. Phelps? How old is Ms. Phelps' sister?

Hint: set up a system of equations to solve!!

10 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

Could they write in your blog address and say they read you were 25? :)

lauren and brad said...

holy shit. you are a genius. i even know how old we both are and brad AND i can't figure it out...something like:
3/4(54) -9 ???

Lane Adair said...

Not even close!!

Nana said...

No problem man - I teach English
Janet

Nana said...

No problem man - I teach English
Janet

lizcannon said...

okay, i know how old both of you are, so i feel like i am cheating.... but just to show up those danged 8th graders... i will write up the problem and figure it out!

lizcannon said...

wait, dude, was this test before your birthday????? freaking cheat.

lizcannon said...

or wait, how old do you think you people are?

lizcannon said...

i think you wrote 54 was your total ages, but i think you meant 53. so my answer is: lane is 25 and Lo is 28, but 9 years ago lane was 14.25 and lo was 20.

Lane Adair said...

whoops! I'm an idiot. I made it to where lauren would be 29. Lo, I know you're 28, no worries.