"Lord, if I've ever needed someone,
I need you.
To keep me from my selfishness.
To lead me on to givingness,
so I can see a new tomorrow."
-Van Morrison
We dance to records daily. It is usually how I put you down for your naps during the day (which are very short these days...and I think you are transitioning from 3 naps a day to 2 very short naps a day). The other day we were dancing to a Van Morrison record and when the song above came on, I just starting weeping. I have been crying at the drop of a hat the last couple of weeks. Could be hormones (female hormones just are not fair!) on top of having some consecutive tough days (you are teething, not sleeping much during day, and, on more than one occasion, have wanted to nurse ALL night long). I normally want to lay you in your crib as soon as you fall asleep to get SOMETHING...ANYTHING done. Brush my teeth, wash the dishes, go to the bathroom, check my e-mail, or, I don't know...eat a meal. But not this day. I held you tight and danced with you through your entire nap. I could not hold you close enough. I wanted to squeeze you into me somehow (by osmosis?) so that moment with you would be ingrained in my brain forever. That is how I feel about all of our moments. I want to remember you this way forever and every single moment is special. I was crying because in the day to day it is so easy to forget this. When you are upset and only want your mommy. When I don't get 5 minutes to myself all day, I find myself getting frustrated. But I have to keep reminding myself that you will not always only want your mommy. One day you will want to be as far away from me as possible! So, I guess I want to tell you I am sorry for all the times I lose my cool. Being a mommy is the hardest and absolutely best thing ever at the same time. I just love you so much.
6 months. I just can't believe it. They say the 4-6 month period is the "falling in love" phase. Well, I have been madly in love with you since day 1, but I get why they say that. I find myself enamored lately with every thing you do. I try to capture every minute and take WAY too many photos and probably post too much on Facebook. I just want to share with everyone I know (and don't know for that matter) the joy that you bring to me everyday. Some days I vow not to take your picture all day and go as far to put you in an "ugly" outfit so I am not tempted...and you still look too cute not to document on film!
This month flew by. We have been keeping ourselves busy in Venice. We have been going to baby yoga and moms group on Tuesdays. We see the chiropractor on Wednesdays and they continue to be your biggest fans. They all exclaim "Breckin's here!" the minute we walk in the door and they show you off and brag about you to all of the other clients while I am getting worked on. You love it.
You went through a HUGE growth spurt in the middle of this month. Only a few of your things that are size 3-6 months still fit. You are mostly in your 9 month gear. Although you are still long and lean, your arms and legs are getting a good amount of chub on them, and you have a little junk in your trunk! Your feet and hands seem much bigger and you are getting more hair! We still can't figure out the color of your hair yet. It seems to change everyday. Your eyes have stayed mostly blue but sometimes we catch a hint of green in them. You are a beautiful, beautiful baby.
Although you are a mama's girl through and through at the moment, you break into a HUGE smile when daddy comes home from work. You love dancing with daddy and he is the best at singing you lullabyes. Lately he has been singing "I'll find a way" by Spirit Family Reunion and this one:
"Lay down my dear brother (breckin).
Lay down and take your rest.
Won't you lay your head
upon your saviors breast.
I love you,
but Jesus loves you the best.
And I bid you good night, good night, good night"
-Grateful Dead
No matter how many hard days there are, when you are away from me for longer than 1 minute my heart starts to ache for you. Even when I have been trying to get you to sleep for hours, the minute you do fall asleep I am tempted to wake you up because you look so angelic and I miss you. I feel so, so lucky to be your mama.
Love,
Mommy and Daddy
























4 comments:
Are those experiances just not the most amazing things ever. All day long you can be wanting to pull your hair out and then bam it hits you like a mack truck how much you love this baby and how it is all so worth it. I love you soul sista!
Candy Phelps
oh sis. SO beautifully written. being a mama is so so hard and it doesn't get easier. I am so happy you are writing these letters because you will read them in just a few months and not remember any of those small precious moments. Your baby IS beautiful and so loved. So are you.
What a precious baby Breckin. What a precious time. Happy and I love you all.
What a precious baby Breckin. What a precious time. Happy and I love you all.
Post a Comment