
The first pic is the aftermath. The front of my apartments. drifts are at least 5-6 feet.

The second is my porch fence thing wednesday night. still snowing!

Lastly, my car before being dug out. I took a picture of the good side where the sun had done some work. You couldn't even tell it was my car from the other side.
Internet is finally up and running and I'm now ready to put the last few weeks of my life in print for all to see. We will start first with the epic Holiday Blizzard of 2006 which hit at the most inopportuned time. My family was due to visit (mom, dad, sis, bro-in-law) on Wednesday the 20th. They were driving, bless their ever lovin hearts, so they could help me pack up a uhaul to send on back to oklahoma. I had heard that it was going to snow but I was not prepared for what was about to happen. I awoke around 10 o'clock on wednesday morning (since I was no longer in school or work!) and glanced out the window, and lo and behold! at least 8 inches of snow and it was still coming down hard. I quickly turned on the news and called the fam (they were driving through Kansas in sunny skies) Schools and businesses were closing left and right and the news said to prepare for the worst blizzard since the christmas blizzard of 1982 (or something like that). Within hours the snow accumulated to feet and major highways were closing. The worst of these being I-70 from KS to Denver. This meant no family for me :( I waited out wednesday cooped up in my little loft apartment glued to the news and praying for a miracle. Nothing. I awoke thursday to still more snow. There were drifts up to 6 feet all over the state, including my front yard. The news basically said "do not, under any circumstances, go outside unless its an emergency". The uhaul guy (we became fast friends) said he counted over 40 cars stranded on the side of the highway in between denver and boulder. I was fast becoming ye of little faith for I-70 to reopen. and it didn't. and I got a serious case of cabin fever. Friday soon came with no snow falling!! there was some major shoveling to be done. I "borrowed" my neighbors snow shovel , strapped on my snowboard gear, including boots, and was just glad to be out of the house. I thought it would be a fun endeavor, but turns out shoveling snow is quite a workout! Once the walk was clear, I set out to dig my car out from under at least 4 feet of snow. Woo! FINALLY I-70 opened and my fam (who had spent 2 days of their lovely vacation checking out the scenery in Wakeeny, KS) made it to boulder!! we celebrated in true boulder style at the beloved Southern Sun where we all got to let loose and cure our fever.
Just when we thought the wrath the Holiday Blizzard 2006 was over, I get the call from Jess. His flight, suppose to be in on Friday the 22nd was postponed to the 26th. thats after christmas!! I was so sad. But brad, my bro in law, was quick to the punch. He said "if jess really loves you, the way I love your sister, then he will do whatever it takes to get to boulder. Even if that means riding a greyhound". And this is just what jess did. for 27 hours, next to big fat women who take offense when jess doesn't hold their bags for them. He finally made it and on a positive note got the bus driver to drop him off on the I-70 on ramp in frisco, CO saturday night(where we were at the time) instead of all the way down to denver. We were finally all together! A christmas miracle!
Luckily this little storm didn't damper too many of our plans (seeing is to how I didn't even attend the graduation ceremony) and we still managed to get 2 days of snowboarding in at breckenridge, a christmas eve feast at Conor O'neals, and a lazy christmas day watching football, loading up uhauls (thanks everybody) and eating take out chinese (Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra....Ra Ra Ra Ra)
Nothing like holidays with the Phelps Clan :) Lo, Brad, Ma, and Da sadly left Jess and I on the 26th and headed back to OK blizzard free. Jess and I packed up the rest of my stuff, had my last boulder meal at....where else, southern sun, and left a day earlier than planned to miss Blizzard #2....Read on to hear about the adventures of Scottsdale!
1 comment:
what an adventure that was! we are now enduring ICE STORM 2007 ( at least that is what the news is calling it!) and i was just telling brad how you don't have to see any of it! talk about cabin fever...i haven't been outside since friday at 1 pm....it's sunday night! :) miss you and i'm so glad you finally have the internet! xoxo
Post a Comment