Friday, July 12, 2013

Breckin has arrived!

OK...OK...OK...if I've said it once I've said it...at least 5-6 times.  It is time to start blogging again!  I have always thought once I had a kid the blog bug would strike again, so I am hoping it sticks this time.   My first entry in almost a year will be Breckin's first letter in a series of letters I hope to write her every month.  This is a page directly from my sister Lauren's parenting book. (not a real book...but she should write one! she is one inspirational mama!)  I started to write to Breckin while she was in utero.  I think I wrote 3 different times.  I'll continue to write each month until she is 2 and we will be able to look back on these memories.  It is also something I can give Breckin one day when she is older.  So, w/out further ado, here is Breckin's first month letter:

Dear Breckin,
Or should I say June Bug, Little, Blue-Eyed Bean, Yo Baby, Nugget, B-Rex,  EdieBreckinWon'tComeOut?  You are a woman of many nicknames already!  That just shows how much everybody loves you, B.  Since you made your much anticipated arrival on June 11, 2013 (you were expected to arrive around May 25-29) you have flipped our world upside down for the BETTER!  This first month with you has absolutely flown by.  Everybody always tells you that, but I feel like I just blinked and here we are.  Your dad and I wrote your birth story down for you in the days following, so I won't get into too many details in this letter.  We wanted to have you at our home in Venice, but after 34 hours and an infection, we had to transfer to the hospital in Santa Monica.  44 hours after my water broke you greeted us with your sweet, girlie cry at 3:38 am on June 11.  Your Happy, Nana, Gaga, aunt LoLo and genevieve were all there to greet you at the hospital. (Great Grandaddy Gordon, Suzanne, and aunt Lauren had already come and gone before you arrived!) We were all immediately in love with you.  Your jet black, full head of curly hair,  your long arms and legs, your beautiful complexion, your blue eyes, your button nose, your long lashes, your wrinkled ear, your perfectly manicured eyebrows, your LONG fingernails, your nose wrinkle that connects your eyes together when you cry...We tried to sleep after the long labor, but I could not quit staring at all of these things.  My baby had finally arrived.
After a long 2 days in the hospital, we got to bring you home!  Nana, Happy, Aunt LoLo, and Gaga were there to greet us.  It was such a great day.  We showed you your nursery and we danced to your song (Strangers by the Kinks).  That evening we had a Name Blessing Ceremony where we wrote down wishes for you, sent a wish lantern into the sky, and ate your first birthday cake!  Your first night home you had to wear a Billy Blanket because you had a small case of jaundice.  After one night with the blanket and a little sunshine in the backyard and you are just fine!  We had a few more days with aunt LoLo, genevieve and Gaga.  They took such good care of us.  Everybody wanted to hold you and cuddle you.  Sometimes I had to steal you away from them because I missed you so much.
You have already had so many visitors!  In the weeks since our family left, our california friends have really made us feel taken care of.  They have brought us food and have ran errands for us.  Mostly, they have stopped by to cuddle up on you!  Everyone thinks you are beautiful and very long =)
On the few days where we have been totally on our own I have tried to venture out a few times.  There have been the trips to the pediatrician for your 2-day, 2-week, and 1-month check ups.  A trip to see the midwife.  A trip to the post office.  And a trip to the grocery store.  They have all been pretty successful.  You don't like getting in and out of your car seat, but you usually pass right out when I put you in my wrap and carry you around. Your very first official outing was at 11 days old when we went to share our birth story with a birth class.  You slept right through the whole thing.
Your Gaga came back for the 4th of July and brought your Papa with her this time.  Papa was so excited to meet you.  They cuddled you their whole visit and we even took a picnic to the beach to watch the fireworks.  You slept right through the fireworks.
 I instantly fell in love with you when I first saw you, but we are still slowly figuring each other out.  I am learning what each of your cries mean.  I recognize your grunt when you're trying to poop.  You always coo at the end of each yawn and it is the cutest sound ever heard.  You like to be sung to, and even though I swore I would sing you only awesome songs, I find myself always humming "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".  You have smiled a little and you even laughed one Saturday morning while laying with me and daddy.  You are starting to respond to my cuddles by cuddling back.  You are getting the cutest rolls on your thighs and wrists which just make you so cuddly.  You often give me a look where you furrow your brow and look at me like I am an idiot (a preview of how you will look at me when you are in middle school).  I'm like, "Oh no!  she's found me out!  she knows I know NOTHING!"  You seem to know more than the rest of us.  Your Gaga said she would like to be a fly on the wall of your brain.
Your daddy.  He loves you so much.  He has gone back to work now, but he misses you all day.  He hangs with you in the morning from 6-7, and you are usually quite happy during this time.  He changes your diaper and lets me sleep a little.  He picks you up as soon as he gets home at night.  He calms you down by dancing with you and singing made up songs to you.  He loves to call you his Blue-Eyed Bean.  Saturdays are our favorite days.  We call them Dad-urdays now.
We celebrated your 1-month birthday by going on our first family date.  We went to the Santa Monica Pier to see a free concert.  We saw Terraplane Sun and Surfer Blood.  We took a picnic of chicken salad sandwiches and a bottle of wine.  It was a beautiful night and you seemed to enjoy the show.  You stared at your daddy while the music played and then you slept.  You put your feet in the sand for the first time!
We love you so much, Breckin Adair.  I hope time slows down a little bit.
love,
mommy




























5 comments:

Jess Royall said...

She is the most beautiful girl ever.

Anonymous said...

well said from one beautiful momma to her beautiful baby girl! yay for blog back!

Candy

lizcannon27 said...

Put her back in, she's looking too old already ahhhhhh

lizcannon27 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lauren and brad said...

I am CrYIng.

I love you little b. SO SO much.

auntie wowo.

xoxo, lo