Jess turned 27 on the 25th and, in true Lane/Jess style, we celebrated this not for a day...but for 5 days!
On Friday:
I love surprises. I even think I love surprising people more than getting surprised myself. But either way, surprises are fun. I decided to surprise jess (and our friend Ryan who also has a May b-day) with a birthday bonfire on the beach. Here is how it went down:
1. I leave early from school to get all the supplies. All jess knows at this point is that he has to be out of the house (at ryan's) and ready to be picked up at 4:00.
2. I buy hot dogs,chips, supplies for smores, beer, beer, and more beer.
3. I load up the car complete with blankets, chairs, ipod and ipod player (clutch), small ice chest with food, and 2 large ice chests filled with beer. One is a cheap styrofoam chest. This is important for later in the story.
4. I go pick up ryan and jess at ryan's house. The plan now (since the 2 large ice chests in the back seat are pretty noticable) is to tell them "Surprise! the 3 of us are going to drink at the beach!"
5. Before I get to ryan's I have to slam on my brake's in terrible rush hour traffic on Lincoln and the styrofoam ice chest (which was sitting on top of the regular ice chest in the back seat) lurches forward, breaks, and there is ice and beer ALL OVER my car.
6. So now when they get in I say "SURPRISE, there is ice and beer all over my car and we have to clean it up. happy birthday. oh yeah...the 3 of us are going to the beach"
7. So...I still think they've fell for it. As I start driving to not our usual beach...more of the surprise was revealed. SURPRISE...we are going to dockweiler beach to have a campfire! (this is the only beach that allows campfires. )
8. We get to dockweler and have to carry all the supplies to our spot. Ryan and jess think it is a little fishy that I brought 5 chairs and there were only 3 of us. I said, "these are for any bums that want to join us"
9. We arrive and set up. it is a beautiful evening.
10. it is the 3 of us for awhile....and then to complete the surprise...more friends started to show up. I was so fun and everytime someone new came it was fun to see jess and ryan's reaction b/c they didn't know who all was invited! It was a lot of "hey *******, fancy seeing you here!"
11. we played frisbee, ate, drank, and had a lot of laughs. The bonfire was like a little piece of oklahoma mixed with the ocean and beach. It was awesome.



Nikki and Lane


Guy and Kristi
Kristi and Katie
Ryan and Nat
Charbs and Jess
The birthday boys
Saturday we rested!
On Sunday:
We went on to celebrate Jess' B-day on Sunday with a little Kickball, fun times at Brennan's Pub (home of the turtle races), a little compound action, and mario kart.
I thought I was done with boat races after college. and then came kickball.
Yep. did a shoulder sit to cheer my team on.
.
cookout at the compound
who knows?? funny pic though
Jess and Pat
an intense game of Mario Kart. yes...that is a rip in my shirt. no...I don't know how it got there.
Too many beers to ride.
Looks like 27 is the new 21.
so sad.
On Monday:
Bobby came to over to the west side to celebrate Jess. We spent a day at the beach and then went to the Canal Club for dinner.
On Tuesday:
I took Jess out for his birthday dinner. We decided to try out James' Beach in Venice which we'd heard loads about. It is also seen in the movie "I Love You, Man" which is fun. It met all expectations. The best oysters I've ever had!!! plus delicious steak and mashed potatoes. Good times!
going to James' Beach. yummy!!
2 comments:
Sounds like the best birthday weekend ever!
We are trying to decide what to do for my 30th...I'm thinking we should come to you for some ideas...
We only went to ONE bonfire the whole time we lived in Cali..definitely one of those experiences that should be repeated again and again.
dude, happy bday jess!!!!! looks like the BEST bday ever!!!!
Post a Comment